Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Challenge, Part V : The Finishers

I finished all the max weight, max rep events, and fast events by 4 pm. All I had remaining were the long slow events. The events that would slowly eat my soul.

The first one was Clean and Jerk, 35lb X 2, 100 reps in 10 minutes. My strategy was Tabata interval the whole thing : 5 reps in 20s, rest 10s, repeat 20 times. It was a mind fuck, but I did it!! It was nice to hit Elite Standard that late in the day.

The second to last event was 5K in 20 minutes. That is the Advanced Standard, but I was taking what my legs would give me at this point. I cued up Rancid on my iPod, very loud.

"Maxwell can't tell he's in hell
He just wants you to visit him there
Same old game that he's playing
His rules are never fair"
Maxwell Murder
Rancid

My Private War:
rowing negative splits for 20 minutes, including a sprint at the end.


I went home and showered. My wonderful girlfriend, who supported me the whole day, fired up the grill for some tri-tip. The last event, sandbag carry with 130lbs for 1 mile, I did "off the coach." I have never even picked up a sandbag that heavy in my life. I thought training for it would not be fun, just suck it up and do it.

MGD - Check
Sandbag with 75% of bodyweight - Check
Let's Start the Party.

I did it!!Last event, Elite Level. If you are curious, it took 20 minutes without setting the sandbag down.

Looking for steaks, beer, and a hole to die in.

No comments: