Monday, June 30, 2008

Get Strong, Get Fast, Get Fit, Get Specific, Compete.

WOD

1) 15 pull-ups
15 dips
15 OHS, 45
15 push-ups
3 rounds

2) BS, 145 + chain, 8X3, rest :40
SP, 55 + chain 8X3, rest :40

3) 10 C & J, 35lbs X2
10 pull-ups
25 push-ups
10 pistols, left
10 pistols, right
5 rounds : 14:42

Notes: So many pull-ups!! Pull-up endurance has always been my weakness. That will change. I experimented by using lighter weights on the speed work. That was mistake. I am well-conditioned and my "true" 1 RM is much higher than my current PR. I should stick with 60-65% plus chain. The circuit was perfect, specific to my challenge. The title is some of the best advice I have heard in a long time. I won't even charge you.

2 comments:

elijah said...

question, dogg: Are you saying the "1 RM" you extrapolate, based on you're reps at a percentage less than 100%, is less than what you've actually lifted? If so, I gotta say I experience the same thing. My explanation to myself is that the monsters for whom the extrapolation algorithm was developed are really good at competing, that on the day of a big lift they bring it harder than non-monstrous dudes would. Basically, they lift scary hard. And 1 RM-ing is a skill that eludes most. Case in point, look around 24 hr Fitness.
question 2: what is WOD?
question 3: how much does the chain weigh that you bench with?

Brian said...

here is good article about the topic : http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1472595

first, off i don't extrapolate because i go heavy a lot and get my 1 RM.

my back squat is an interesting example: my all time record, about a year ago, 365 lbs. lately, it has not gotten above 315 lbs. if I use the westside method of percentages, what I use?

those guys are monsters. they can't go as heavy as much as me because they are more efficient. it would create too big of a recovery hole. they work off percentages from their last competition.

a side note, i can do that with climbing. i will go to some new area set a PR with a series of onsights or one/two redpoints and suck bad the next day. other less experienced climbers, will climb okay both days. i more efficient and dig a bigger, deeper recovery hole.

WOD is Crossfit-ese for Workout Of the Day

each chain is about 20lbs for a total of 40lbs